Ubisoft decreased their revenue projections for 2019/2020, as revealed on the most recent earnings call. One of the reasons for it turned out to be the "very disappointing" sales of Ghost Recon Breakpoint during the first few weeks.
Ubisoft revealed they had to adjust their revenue targets downwards during the latest earnings call. The drop in the projected net bookings is rather drastic, going from €2.18 billion down to €1.45 billion, which is a 33.5 per cent drop.
The two main reasons for this were:
- Drops in expected revenue from Ghost Recon Breakpoint and to a lesser extent, The Division 2
- Pushing back release dates of Gods & Monsters, Watch Dogs Legion and Rainbow Six Quarantine to fiscal year of 2020/21
Ghost Recon Breakpoint's underperformance appears to have been one of the most severe reasons as the CEO, Yves Guillemot devoted a portion of the to this particular title. He listed several reasons for the bad performance of GRB:
- It's hard to generate customer interest for a live service sequel
- The changes in sequels better implementation, with Ghost Recon Breakpoint serving as the prime example
- Ghost Recon Breakpoint did not come in with enough differentiation factors, which prevented the game's intrinsic qualities from standing out
As you can see, all three points can be directly tied to Ghost Recon Breakpoint. The last one was copied and pasted directly from the report. Its wording rather convoluted but pretty much means copying elements from other Ubisoft games made it bland so the game's unique aspects couldn't surface enough to attract an audience.
Furthermore, the report specifically notes that critical reception and sales during the game's first few weeks "were very disappointing". It appears that Ubisoft were confounded by Breakpoint's failure, stating that "the game's quality appeared on track - based on E3, Gamescom, previews and [their] latest internal playtests".
It is unclear how or why no one pointed Breakpoints flaws out but Ubisoft noted they are "tackling these issues head-on" but it remains to be seen if they will manage to fix Breakpoint's mess.