Echtra Games are going back to the Torchlight series' roots with their new game. Previously announced as a free-to-play game titled Torchlight Frontiers, the game has now morphed into a premium title that will launch on Steam as Torchlight III.
Torchlight Frontiers recently underwent a name change and will now launch as Torchlight III on Steam, sometime in summer 2020. The game will no longer focus on horizontal progression and will go back to the linear world structure found in its precessors - Torchlight I and II.
The upcoming RPG title will feature the mechanics familiar to the fans of the series. After selecting a class in Torchlight III, players will also be able to select an animal companion - a fluffy alpaca, a swift owl or a loyal canine retriever.
The full list of game features includes:
- Travel the Frontier: Players can explore the wilderness, party with friends, gather materials to craft loot, use magical maps to enter unknown dungeons or show off their spoils in towns.
- Build and Upgrade Your Fort: Players will enjoy their very own account-based fort, where they can upgrade gear, and make renovations to show it off to their friends - and the world. The game will allow them to build monuments of power, pet stables, and more.
- Choose a Relic: Relics are objects of great power that grant players a suite of active and passive skills. Players can craft them, level them up and store them in their fort.
- Collect Epic Gear - Whether it's armour, weapons, dyes, recipes, ember cores, or even new pets ... there's always more to find as adventurers battle through dungeons and take on dangerous foes. Every randomly-generated area can be replayed over and over again since each instance brings different items. Those who want even more gear can run maps from the Mapworks, or take on a contract to earn Fame and unlock elite items.
- Pets are Back: Players can fight their way to fame and glory with loyal companions. Each of the species comes in a myriad of colours and styles and the players can also make these pets stronger by adding skills and equipping them with gear to make them hardier.
- Build Your Hero: With four classes to choose from, players can utilize class-specific mechanics to maximize damage and their odds of survival. Torchlight III will allow the players to gather epic gear, select their Relic powers, and customize loadouts to create a unique combat style for their heroes.
Hero classes plus their unique abilities and powers:
- The Dusk Mage - an enchanter who harnesses the power of light and dark energy to conjure devastating attacks.
- The Forged - a powerful robot who relies on an arsenal of weaponry to build up heat and unleash explosive assaults.
- The Railmaster - a locomotive savvy powerhouse who steams into combat with a massive hammer and heavily armed battle train.
- A brand new class which will be revealed soon!