Game News

Epic explain removal of Siphon in Fortnite development update

Published: 20:01, 26 April 2019
Updated: 20:14, 26 April 2019
Epic Games
Fortnite's Fishstick skin
Fortnite, Fishstick, the mightiest hero of them all!

Epic Games have written a lengthy post on Fortnite's competitive development, explaining some of their recent decisions, like the removal of Siphon and material building changes, Field of View, and general direction they're taking the game.

"We introduced Siphon during the Pop-up Cup tournaments to provide incentives for aggression that more closely resembles how the regular modes are played, and to increase entertainment value and spectacle", they wrote, which was a direct response to crowded end-game and turtling. 

Just in case you're not familiar with the term, Siphon is the Fortnite mechanic that allows for getting heals and/or shields per elimination, as well as the increased harvesting rate that usually went with it.

Having been removed in Fortnite's v8.20 update, complaints finally made Epic explain their reasoning publicly, and it turns out that the feature had some nasty side effects behind the curtains.

"Everybody enjoyed receiving health and shields for eliminations after we introduced the changes to the core modes, but there was an unexpected consequence: players at large grew more frustrated with Fortnite play, feeling they had less of a chance due to encounters with high-skill players with full health and shields", they said.

According to Epic's stats, 10 per cent of the highest-skilled Fortnite players had increased engagement, while the remaining 90 per cent were more frustrated and played less.

Additionally, many of them complained the game got "too intense to be enjoyable", so the core modes will no longer feature Siphon or the material changes.

Epic will retain the current default FOV too, arguing that doing otherwise has the potential of giving players competitive advantages, which is not what Fortnite is trying to be about, of course. 

Epic Games fortnite artwork showing a character with iron man's gloves Fortnite Battle Royale - Endgame LTM

Overall though, Fortnite's development team admitted that they probably should've been more active in discussions on Fortnite's competitive play, and with competitive players, something which they plan to amend in the future.

You can find the blog post with more detailed explanations on Fortnite's official website .

Epic's Caribbean-themed Season 8 of Fortnite: Battle Royale

  • Image: 1 / 6
A man with an axe running through a forest in SCUM
Fortnite, Season 8

Latest Articles
Most Popular