Age of Empires IV's devs have shared their plans for the end of this year, what's waiting for us in 2022 and what community-requested features they're ready to take a look at.
Age of Empires IV has officially been among us since October 28 and now it's time to look to the future and see what the devs over at World’s Edge and Relic Entertainment have planned for the months ahead, specifically Winter 2021 and Spring 2022.
Age of Empires 2021/2022 roadmap
Monday, November 15, saw Age of Empires IV's first official patch hit the live servers. The patch introduced fixes to Xbox Account linking, straightened up Mongol Town Center behaviour, tweaked performance impacts when panning the camera and more. However small, this week's patch introduced fixes to some of the more pressing issues to tide the players over until the game's first big patch comes along.
Winter 2021 will see the following changes come to Age of Empires IV:
- The choice to turn on and view in-game player scores - The Winter 2021 update will bring the option to enable in-game player scores on a case-by-case basis for custom lobby multiplayer and skirmish matches.
- The Chinese Dynasty button will have a new home: it will be placed in a less obtrusive position on the screen. Find it in the lower left-hand corner.
- View the map post-match - The devs have started working on the option that will appear after the Winter 2021 update hits. Additional options will be added in Spring 2022.
- Mini-map changes - The players will get smaller icons, the Wonder icon on the mini-map will match the icon displayed in the HUD, the Primary Town Centre will be larger and certain resources will get a fresh coat of paint.
Balance and bug fixing:
- French Hulk ship will no longer rule the high seas.
- Crossbowmen, Spearman and Elite Crossbowmen will pose a greater threat to Cavalry.
- Chinese civilization’s Repeater crossbow will cost less.
- HRE Prelate will be fixed to allow them to continue inspiring after being pushed.
- Mongol "Superior Mobility" speed modifier will be appropriately applied.
- The Rus civilization will lose its infinite Relic duplication.
Mod support and a competitive mode will arrive to Age of Empires IV in Spring 2022.
- User-Generated Content and tools - modders and mod-enthusiasts will be able to enjoy user-generated Age of Empires IV mods.
- Ranked Seasons - Coming in 2022, Ranked Seasons will go on for 12 weeks and see players battling each other to climb the leaderboard and earn in-game rewards based on performance. More information about Ranked Seasons is coming up next year. Those who want to prepare would do well to pay a couple of visits to the Art of War challenges, Campaign, or just play a few games with other players.
The following is the player feedback the devs are taking a look at to see what additional improvements and fixes the community would like to see pop up in the game:
- The return of the Global Build Queue - A feature found in previous Age titles.
- Improvements to the Unit Stat card - The devs are brainstorming ideas on how to make the cards easier to read at a glance.
- Hotkey Improvements -A couple of different avenues are being investigated to come up with an all-around acceptable solution.
- Taunts and Cheats - Patience, the devs are coming up with the perfect look and sound for the new game.
- AI Difficulty - The game's AI will go easier on the players or give them more of a challenge after a few requested tweaks have been made.
- Waypoint Indicators - A quality of life improvement from the days of old.