Streets of Rage 4 is getting significantly expanded soon as Mr. X Nightmare DLC will add a new game mode on top of the three new playable characters.
Mr. X Nightmare DLC is coming to Streets of Rage 4 on July 15, 2021. It will set you back $7.99 and the regional equivalent in other currencies.
Players can look forward to three new playable characters:
- Shiva - the boss from previous SoR entries that occasionally becomes a playable character
- Max Thunder - previously a playable character in earlier SoR games and a boss in SoR 4
- Estelle Aguirre - a completely new character who was a boss in SoR 4
There will also be a new game mode - Survival. Just like in many other games, Survival is self-explanatory but here is a quick rundown regardless. It's basically a horde mode where the players keep fighting increasingly tough waves of enemies in order to attempt to reach the high score.
Players will gain new perks as waves pass and they will be able to choose between two session variations:
- Random - procedurally generated runs without the ability to know what challenges you will face upfront
- Weekly - preset gauntlets that are generated each week
Completing a level awards two random perks to choose from, offering stackable bonuses to power up until defeated. However, you can also earn permanent rewards such as new moves that will be useable across all Streets of Rage 4 modes.