Is the format of LEague of Legends tournaments outdated? Fans certainly think so, and now, it seems that LCK agrees as well, and are keeping up with the rest of the esports world.
For years now, the LoL Worlds has had the same format of games played, with teams playing seven best-of-five matches, after which there is a week of no games, that kills all momentum.
So, fans have been clamoring for a double elimination style format on League of Legends esports tournaments, and the first one to do so, is the LCK.
"The #LCK has some big changes - double elimination playoffs, integrated rosters and format changes for #LCKCL - coming up in 2023!", they said on their official Twitter account.
As it stands now, this is what the playoffs should look like in the LCK:
- Round 1: 3. picks 5./6, 4. plays who 3. didn't pick
- Losers of round 1 are eliminated
- Round 2: 1. Picks one of the winners of Round 1, 2. plays the other one
- Round 3: Round 2 winners play in upper bracket, Round 2 losers face off in lower bracket, lower bracket loser is eliminated, upper bracket winner moves to grand finale (Round 5)
- Round 4: Upper bracket loser faces lower bracket winner, winner moves to round 5, loser is eliminated
- Round 5: Upper bracket winner plays the lower bracket winner for the title
If they manage to implement these changes correctly, and the teams acclimate to them in time, this would be huge for the region, and, as the most prestigious region in LoL esports, they should serve as inspiration for everyone else.
eFootball 2023 adds 40 national teams temporarily
Kosatka is discounted this week in GTA Online
W40K: Rogue Trader gets gameplay trailer, shows Collector's Edition contents
Marvel's Midnight Suns showcases the team's base in latest trailer
- Naraka Bladepoint World Championship announced with massive prize pool