Microsoft officially ended support for Windows 7 but it will not necessarily be a malware magnet just because the security updates stopped. There is a whole list of antivirus software that will support the operating system at least until 2022.
Despite Microsoft's end of support for Windows 7, there are many users who prefer that operating system to Windows 10. Thankfully, their systems will not be sitting ducks for malicious code as many companies will still provide support until at least 2022. The even better news is that these companies don't have an announced end of support date yet.
List of antivirus software supporting Windows 7
Supports Windows 7 for at least two years, no end date announced
- AVG (Avast)
- G Data
- K7 Computing
- PC Matic
- Symantec (NortonLifeLock)
- ThreatTrack (Vipre)
- Trend Micro
Support potentially ending in 2021
- F-Secure (no end date announced, will support Win7 at least until December 2021)
- McAfee (no end date announced, will support Win7 at least until December 2021)
- Sophos (support ending in December 2020, cloud-managed until June 2021)
- TotalAV (no end date announced, will support Win7 for at least one year)
- Avira (support for Windows 7 will end in November 2022)
- Sophos (partially ending in late 2020, see the 2021 section)
- Microsoft (Windows 7 Extended Security Updates will go on until 2023, purchase required)
In case you are trying to hold off Windows 10, it appears you are in luck for at least two additional years. Following the expiration of the security updates and support for Windows 7 from the list above, it would be highly advised to go along with the free update from Windows 7 to Windows 10 .