Sony revealed the full PlayStation 5 specs as the Road to PlayStation 5 presentation went along. Some fans don't seem to be particularly happy as Xbox Series X looked a bit more impressive in its own presentation.
PlayStation 5 specifications are out and Xbox Series X has an edge on the hardware front. While some PlayStation fans are dissatisfied with the weaker specs, others are confident that PS5 will come out ahead due to exclusive titles.
Anyway, the full specifications are as follows:
- CPU - 8x Zen 2 Cores @ 3.5 GHz with variable frequency
- GPU - 10.28 TFLOPs with 36 CUs at 2.23 GHz, also variable frequency. Custom RDNA 2 architecture
- Memory - 16 GB GDDR 6 w/ 256 bit bus
- Memory Bandwidth - 448GB/s
- Internal Storage - 825 GB SSD
- Expandable Storage - NVMe SSD Slot internally
- External Storage - USB HDD support
- IO Throughput - 5.5GB/s raw ; 8-9GB/s compressed
- Optical Drive - 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
Compared to Xbox Series X specs , the CPU is not exactly shining but it will undoubtedly be a proper upgrade between PlayStation's generations. Some of the biggest differences are Sony's projected 10.28 TFLOPs for PS5 GPU while Microsoft is boasting 12 TFLOPs. Furthermore, it is a matter of 36 vs 52 CUs, which probably means Xbox Series X will have much smoother performance, especially when gaming in 4K resolution.