Even though Fortnite's v10.20 update was mostly concerned with Borderlands 3 and the awesome crossover, you may have missed the part where Epic Games introduced some Turbo Build changes, or more like reverted to the much earlier state.
Granted, it wasn't too difficult to miss this part, given how meticulously Epic recreated not just Pandora, but the general Borderlands 3 mechanics, but now the dev explained the reasons behind the decision.
"We returned the time between subsequent Turbo Build placements from 0.05 seconds to 0.15 seconds in v10.20. This was the value used up to v4.30", they wrote.
This was done for several reasons, the first of which was that rapid Turbo Building favours Fortnite players with low ping "in disproportionate" ways. Taking walls, which is basically being the first to place one, and turtling, i.e. rebuilding a wall taking damage, made this especially evident.
Moreover, Epic found that turtling disproportionately favoured defenders, that it was easy to "accidentally place multiple pieces 'at once'" and that Fortnite's spam building was too easy, whereas they want it to be more deliberate.
Epic claim they didn't want to "dramatically impact" the responsiveness, the ability to perform 90s, i.e. single-tile building upwards, and waterfalling, i.e. building pieces when you fall down, although we'll soon hear whether they achieved this.
Nevertheless, Fortnite will be updated with the following changes, and players will be notified via regular social channels:
- Replace initial building and turbo building delay with rate of fire logic
- First placement is instantaneous
- No way to build faster than a building piece every 0.15 seconds
- Note: By itself this doesn’t address defensive agency of turtling / low ping benefit
- Enforce rate of fire for contested pieces
- If a building piece is destroyed:
* Server waits 0.15 seconds before allowing rebuild
* Players attempting to rebuild the destroyed piece during that 0.15
seconds are added to a list
* There are several potential ways to pick the winner we’re exploring:
- Coin flip between people not currently owning the building piece
- Coin flip between everyone trying to build
- Favor person currently owning building piece
* At end of delay, place building piece
- Ensures that building piece replacement (“taking walls”) is not ping sensitive
- Ensures a minimum time between a wall being destroyed and replaced
You can learn more in Fortnite's Turbo Build blog update .