First major details about Obsidian Entertainment's upcoming Xbox Series X exclusive open-world RPG Avowed have leaked online. Judging by the info, Avowed is indeed Obsidian's biggest project yet.
Earlier this week, the creators of Outer Worlds and Fallout: New Vegas have officially revealed Avowed, their brand new project, which is coming to Xbox Series X and PC. However, not a lot has been said about the game on the Xbox Games Showcase, which suggests that the game is still early in development and we probably won't hear about it for quite some time.
Fortunately, thanks to a reliable Xbox and Obsidian insider sponger, we have a ton of details about the gameplay, open world, characters, story and more. However, before we list everything that sponger shared, keep in mind that this is not official info, so you should take it with a grain of salt. Here's everything that the insider shared:
- Fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim
- Differently "larger", more proper word would be "denser" and "more contrasted" at the same time
- Primarily set in The Living Lands region of Eora
- Big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics
- Special focus on physics with magic systems
- Realtime weather system (fog is very important as a realtime element)
- Rivers will have specific microphysics systems
- Very advanced character creation tool
- Mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as a creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- Large number of factions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- You’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- Storyset: fight against the incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- Game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- Great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- Two large cities planned with many smaller ones with a strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas
- You’ll be able to swim
- Fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- Dynamic presentation of dialogue
- For now idea is to keep "you can kill everyone in the game" option
- Around 100 people are on the project for two years
- The game is in development for 2 years and 7 months
- Full production is already a thing, the team will still grow
- Target date: late 2022 or early 2023
Now that's a lot of details and some pretty juicy ones. If the leak is indeed true, then it is safe to say that Obsidian aim to create one of the biggest RPGs ever. We know that this is a game that the studio always wanted to make so it is not surprising to see such an ambitions gameplay features listed in this leak.
All in all, we cannot wait to get our hands on Avowed, which sadly, won't be coming anytime soon but as always, good things require time so we'll patiently wait for this Xbox exclusive.