The buffs that were given to Maokai have put him back into the top lane meta, and Riot seem satisfied with this. what they now intend to change is his jungle presence.
Maokai is one of the oldest League of Legends champions Riot Games created, and one whose age could really be felt recently, with the champion being relegated to the support role, building Imperial Mandate and filling the bushes with saplings.
The adjustments Riot Games have given this champion have propelled him, along with Hecarim , into an extremely healthy win rate.
In patch 12.18, Riot are settling down his top lane strength, as well as his support annoyance, while buffing his jungle role:
- PASSIVE - SAP MAGIC:
- HEAL: 4.8-14% (based on level) ⇒ 4.5 -12% (based on level)
- Q - BRAMBLE SMASH
- BONUS DAMAGE TO MONSTERS: 40/60/80/100/120 ⇒ 80/100/120/140/160
- E - SAPLING TOSS
- DAMAGE 55/80/105/130/155 (+ 6% bonus health) (+ 42.5% AP) ⇒ 55/80/105/130/155 (+ 6% bonus health) (+ 40% AP)
- EMPOWERED DAMAGE 110/160/210/260/310 (+ 12% bonus health) (+ 85% AP) ⇒ 110/160/210/260/310 (+ 12% bonus health) (+ 80% AP)
They say that he's been struggling to branch out into the jungle, so they are giving him some jungle-oriented buffs in hopes they "bear fruit" while "trimming" some of his strengths in other roles.
Their puns aside, Riot have also fixed some bugs that have cropped up with Maokai after his adjustment:
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause Maokai’s Q to pull targets closer to him as opposed to knocking them away
- Fixed a bug that would cause Maokai’s R to be narrower than intended
All in all, Maokai should now be a champion that has gone back to his roots, and once again finds a place as a top laner and jungler.
Read More League News