All is fair in love and war right? Well, Bungie covered both of these in their latest announcement, as Destiny 2 is heading for the Crimson Days event and a major overhaul of swords, which will lay the foundation for future changes.
"Have you been feeling a bit lonely lately? Lacking a partner by your side in the heat of battle? Crimson Days is on approach, bringing the perfect opportunity for you to form an unbreakable Crimson Bond with a fellow Guardian", Bungie wrote.
Of course, the actual truth is a lot less romantic than that, as the Crimson Doubles mode is an explosive 2v2 mode, but it does grant you higher ability regen as long as keep close enough to your teammate. If you're too far apart, opponents will see you clearly. If you'd rather go for PvE, Shaxx will have co-op based bounties as well.
By completing Crimson Doubles matches and bounties, Destiny 2: Shadowkeep players will be getting Confectionary Hearts, which can be exchanged for Crimson Days-themed rewards, and Bright Dust, which comes from weekly bounties.
Bungie have a lot in store for Destiny 2: Shadowkeep and their first order of business are swords, which are getting a substantial rework. They did say that the new swordplay will likely require you to unlearn your previous habits, but that the end result and future potential should make it more than worth it.
- Swords now have their own reserve of energy that recharges naturally on its own, and is not to be confused with ammo capacity. This energy will overtake your melee slot while you’re wielding a sword and is spent on various actions.
- Guarding now uses sword energy instead of consuming ammo. Different guards have different consumption rates, damage resistance and behaviors, so be sure to experiment and find a guard type you like. You’ll still need at least one ammo to begin guarding, though.
- Back during Season of the Drifter, the Stronghold exotic for Titans was introduced, allowing them to guard with relative impunity and opening up more interesting opportunities for swords to shine in a variety of content which caused us to take another look at the guard function itself. Although the guard function has always existed, it was never really considered worth the cost. With this change, we hope that players will use their guard intelligently to protect themselves instead of it being an almost unused button. Rest easy, Stronghold has also been modified to still allow Titans a unique guarding experience.
- Grounded light attacks for all Swords will now loop for an infinite combo, and all Swords can cleave.
- While the basic three hit combo is quite a staple of melee weapons in many games – In a shooter this leaves the player extremely open to enemies. By letting the light attacks loop, we also push them and the heavy attacks apart further. Cleaving on light attacks was previously only on the Aggressive Swords, but we opted to add it to the rest of them for more hack ‘n slash.
- Heavy attacks now consume Sword energy. While you are always able to perform a heavy attack, the attack is stronger when you have full energy, and weaker when you don’t.
- A lot of swordplay in many situations simply boiled down to endlessly mashing the heavy attack button instead of mixing up attacks which wasn't quite the most interesting experience. Do note that aerial heavy attacks as a general rule do not consume Sword energy, but that can vary based on the Sword.
- A portion of most Sword attacks can partially bypass elemental shields.
- We added this to give Swords a little bit of a personality difference from shotguns who share a very similar role in combat as powerful CQC weapons.