PUBG GLOBAL INVITATIONAL.S will kick off on February 5 and go on until March 28. The 32 teams will compete each week to earn part of the $3.5 million prize pool.
We now know some additional details about the format for PUBG GLOBAL INVITATIONAL.S (PGI.S), the next global PUBG esports tournament taking place from February 5 - March 28.
PGI.S will be an eight-week-long LAN/online-hybrid event featuring 32 teams from eight regions, including seven Europe-based teams, six Chinese teams, four Korean teams, four North American teams, two Latin American teams, five South-East Asian teams, two Japanese teams, and two teams from Chinese Taipei.
Teams will compete each week to earn a slice of the $3.5 million prize pool.
With health and safety being a critical concern, the majority of teams will compete offline at Studio Paradise in Incheon, South Korea while teams from China, Japan, and Chinese Taipei will compete online from their respective areas.
- Rank Decision Matches: To kick off the festivities, the 32 teams will be split into four different groups to participate in Rank Decision matches. Placement order for the first set of Weekly Survival matches will be decided based on performance.
- Weekly Survival Matches: For six weeks, the Weekly Series will include weekday Survival Matches, before moving onto Weekend Final matches. When a team wins a Weekly Survival match, they will automatically progress to the Weekly Finals, and their place will be taken by the team with the next highest rank from the Rank Decision matches.
- Weekly Finals Matches: The Weekly Finals will feature the 16 winners from Weekly Survival, with the top four finalists winning a share of the prize pool based on their accumulated points. The prize money gets bigger every week and the team with the highest accumulated prize amount at the end of the tournament will be crowned PGI.S champions.
- The 16 teams who did not qualify for the Weekly Finals will compete in another set of placement matches to determine their position on the following week’s waiting list.
- Survival Tournament: Newly announced, a speciality tournament within PGI.S named the Survival Tournament will be scheduled from March 5-7.
All matches will be broadcasted globally on various platforms in 12 languages, including English, Russian, Turkish, Korean, and Vietnamese. In addition to the broadcast, fans can tune-into the Weekly Final pre-shows.