Overwatch's ongoing Lunar New Year event brought a bunch of new skins, emotes and challenges. Chief among them is the Bounty Hunter mode that's here to stay.
Forget soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities. It's the outlaws', pariahs', and the nastiest of ne’er-do-wells' time to shine. Overwatch's Lunar New Year gave rise to a new Arcade mode that's here to stay.
The new Bounty Hunter game mode is all about raking in points by stacking the kills.
Bounty Hunter’s beginnings are rooted in the Lunar New Year event, where Capture the Flag has become a yearly staple for players to enjoy. More on this in Blizzard's exhaustive announcement .
According to Michael Liaw, a senior game designer on the ecology team, Bounty Hunter is a free-for-all deathmatch, but with a focused objective for everyone. It provides some purpose and allows an easy way for players to find others to fight.
Each time a player eliminates their target, they are rewarded with triple the points and each time the hunter themself becomes the hunted - the outnumbered party gets a free ultimate charge.
How to play Bounty Hunter game mode in Overwatch
Rack up the points
- You get points for killing other players, even when they’re not the target.
- Eliminating other players doesn't yield a bunch of points but they are easy pickings as everyone is focused on the bounty.
- The final target is visible through walls so you can guess where most of the hunters are going to be.
Use the perks of being the new bounty target
- When you're awarded the honour of being the next bounty target you get the following perks:
- You’re instantly healed to full health once you land that killing blow on the former target.
- You get a free ultimate.
Overwatch's Lunar New Year event will go on until February 25, 2021.