Patrick Gilmore, new head of WWE 2K franchise has held a Reddit AMA where he discussed the creative direction for the next instalment, taking on community feedback, Creation Club, mods and more.
Seasoned fans of the franchise got in some excellent questions and received quite a few excellent answers that really bode well for the future, so let's dig in.
When asked about match types WWE 2K team is aiming for, Gilmore replied, "We just finished a feedback project where we got amazing feedback on the match types players would most like to see; that feedback is the central element driving our internal discussions to get as much bang for the buck as we can in the next release."
Gilmore stressed that community feedback will be crucial to everything they do, and their number one request was GM Mode. "I can say that my message to the team was, “We're not just going to trot out a mode from 2008 without bringing something new." Top minds are thinking about that right now. Top. Minds.", he added.
The team are looking at some classics like No Mercy and Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain, as well as some Nintendo classics, in order to deliver the best possible experience.
WWE 2K's controls will be made more intuitive and simple, seamlessly transitioning between scenarios. Ring positions, deeper combos, limb damage, match momentum, matchups - everything is being looked at.
"The last aspect of great gameplay is capturing the essence of professional wrestling, which has dimensions of drama, changing context, massive roster, backstage action, weapons and props, audience participation and spectacle. One of the huge challenges of the franchise is finding ways for players to feel in control of the vast number of potential outcomes in a given match", he said.
Gilmore listed the key areas the WWE 2K team is focusing on as:
- Core Gameplay: making the superstar vs. superstar gameplay the best it's ever been.
- Emergence: leveraging physics and more generic object/environment systems to enable spectacular gameplay that players feel in control of
- WWEX (WWE Experience): delivering an end-to-end true WWE experience in all aspects of the game, from UI and wrapper, to superstars, match types and story modes.
- Online: improving all aspects of the online experience.
- Character: make the best looking superstars of all time.
- Create: Upgrade the creation suite, and make our community creation tools feel like magic to use.
Unfortunately, if you were hoping to see more improvements on WWE 2K20, Gilmore said that shifting of the team's focus onto the next game, along with some technical migrations have made that highly unlikely.
You can find the Reddit AMA here .