Serious Sam 4 developer Croteam's hotfix work has turned into a full-blown patch, as the dev tackled stability issues, black screens and FPS drops, as well as some smaller bugs.
Unfortunately, Sam has had a bit of a rough start, but Croteam are up to the job, so the update goes after the most severe issues. In terms of stability, Serious Sam 4 fans can expect the following:
- Various stability and performance improvements across GFX APIs.
- Fixed an issue where the game would hang on a black screen and cause the system to reboot in rare cases.
- Killing the Metal Snake boss should no longer cause the framerate to drop unexpectedly.
In terms of other changes, Sam's benchmark won't create auto-saves or leave cheats on at the end of runs. Players can now bind weapon slots, which is actually a suggestion made by Serious Sam 4's community, and picking last used will now ignore gadgets.
Additionally, marker visibility can be controlled through game options; Time Warp effects won't be visible durign cutscenes, and the dev fixed steering wheels and speedometers too.
As for gameplay fixes and changes to Serious Sam 4, the update 1.02 and 1.03 come with the following:
- Fixed an issue that would prevent the player from finishing the side mission on "Gates of Hell" in certain situations.
- The Cluster Grenade attachment will now be awarded when the player starts the "Vive la Resistance" level from the menu.
- The Zealot will no longer be catapulted into oblivion when killed by a double-barreled shotgun or a rocket launcher. It was fun while it lasted.
- The Chainsaw Launcher alt-fire will now gib enemies as intended.
- The player will now spawn in the Popemobile after loading an autosave during the Megalopolyp boss fight.
- Fixed an issue where the players would sometimes get stuck near the first gated area in Viva La Resistance.
- Fixed an issue where the players would be unable to remove a weapon from their hands while riding a Khnum.
- Fixed an issue where some secrets would not be marked as such when the player discovered them.
- Vehicles will no longer be able to kill enemies without any momentum
- L.I.F.E gadget will no longer reset armor to 100 to players who have more than 100 armor at the time of activation.
- Fixed an issue with the cutscene starting abruptly upon finishing the Viva la Resistance square fight
- The mech "low battery" warning will no longer show for all players on the server, even if they are not in a mech.
- Players will now select the last used weapon after using a gadget, instead of always autoselecting rifle.
You can find the full patch notes here.