Epic's content-making machinery is back in action with a bang, as Fortnite's v11.40 update brings back the heavy Assault Rifle, albeit by 'sidegrading'. Thankfully, the dev also dropped the material costs for upgrading weapons.
Judging Fortnite's v11.40 patch notes, the dev isn't planning on bringing back the pre-Chapter 2 format of patch notes, so we'll have to do with the limited information they provided. Not that you should expect any radical changes without a heads-up from Epic, mind you.
Anyway, the first change is the return of the Heavy Assault Rifle, which can be sidegraded from the regular Assault version of the community's beloved boom-stick. It's done via Upgrade Machines, but note that the Heavy variant is only available in non-competitive playlists.
Speaking of upgrading, Fortnite's Upgrade Machines will now feature reduced material costs for upgrading. Of course, sidegrading is basically the same thing so we expect that the reduced costs cover the Heavy Assault Rifle.
The following were added to Fortnite's Battle Lab:
- Flint-Knock Pistol (Common and Uncommon)
- Shockwave Grenade
- Impulse Grenade
On the mobile front, Fortnite now supports 120 FPS on iPad Pro devices (2018 release), with the clickable thumbstick buttons, which are L3 and R3, being usable on supported iOS controllers.
We'd expect there's been some minor rebalancing as well, although Epic are keen to keep the patch notes information to a minimum, which to be fair seems to be working out pretty well when it comes to reducing toxicity in the community.
Fortnite v11.40 also includes the following bugfixes:
- Players’ Star Wars Achievements have returned to the Legacy timeline.
- Resolved an issue involving the “F” key not enabling proper movement after direction was remapped to it.
- Resolved an issue involving editing quickly causing players to remain in Edit mode.
- Falling into a Hideout no longer causes the Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle’s crosshairs to disappear.
- Resolved an issue involving the “Visit different bus stops in a single match” Remedy vs. Toxin Challenge not tracking progress for some bus stops.
- The Spectrum Contrail again changes colours while in motion.
- Continued to make improvements regarding FPS drops and hitching on mobile devices.
- Resolved an issue involving mobile players getting stuck in a loop on the Select Fire Mode screen.
- Resolved an issue involving console players being unable to progress through the gifting process if they did not have Two-Factor Authentication enabled.