Subnautica: Below Zero developer Unknown Worlds Entertainment has announced that the upcoming update for their still-early access expansion will render the existing saves unplayable, and this process has to do with the new storyline as well.
Now, if you were hoping for actual dates, we'll have to disappoint you there - the closest even remotely fixed date is those Subnautica: Below Zero players on Steam's experimental branch. And even that is said to be "imminent".
Unfortunately, the part about Subnautica: Below Zero saves you read in the title is true. Unknown Worlds thought this through well, deeming that the changes are so significant that sticking to the old system would produce a "buggy mess".
TL&DR enthusiasts can refer to Subnautica: Below Zero info below:
- The next Below Zero release will feature the new story in an early form.
- Once the new story goes live, old saves will stop working. You’ll have to start a new game.
- (Steam) If you’re playing on the Steam main branch, you will be able to play your save games as usual until the next update. At this point, they will become unplayable and a new save game will need to be started.
- (Steam) If you’re playing on Steam’s experimental branch, the changes are imminent.
- (Non-Steam) You will be able to play your save games as usual until the next update. At this point, they will become unplayable and a new save game will need to be started.
Subnautica: Below Zero's dev team is not only busy with the story mind you. There's plenty more to be done in the surface gameplay department, of which Unknown World is well aware of.
"We read the forums and watch streamers play - as well as regularly playtesting ourselves - and it's clear that the surface isn't up to the quality standards of our fans or the team. As a result, we're going to take some extra time to get it right before 1.0", they wrote.
While those may be the highlights, Unknown Worlds stressed that all aspects of Subnautica: Below Zero are getting some love. You can check the game's Lost Ship update here .
Unknown World are hoping to deliver Subnautica: Below Zero to Xbox One and PS4 players on the same day as PC, but we'll be hearing more about the game soon
You can find the announcement on Subnautica: Below Zero's website .