Starship Troopers, a glorious Sci-Fi novel and almost as equally as great a movie, is getting a game called Starship Troopers - Terran Command, a real-time strategy that throws you into the chaotic world of Robert A. Heinlein's masterpiece.
We won't drone about the novel any more than we should, but it's quite the read. If you don't have the time, you can check out the 1997 movie, and it's likely to remind you of one quite popular game, which we won't be getting into now.
Developed by The Aristocrats and to be published by Slitherine Ltd., Starship Troopers - Terran Command has players defending the planet from Arachnids, an alien threat that's clearly immune to anti-bug spray.
Arachnids clearly share many a trait with the Zerg, although the story of who inspired who and when is too long to tell here. What matters is that there's a lot of them and they keep coming.
The neverending streams of Arachnids mean that Starship Troopers - Terran Command players will have to balance the strength-in-numbers aspect against strategic placement, utilising high ground and choke points to tackle the alien threat.
That doesn't mean, however, that Arachnids will just roll over, not in the figurative sense at least, as they'll be laying ambushes and spring surprise attacks on their squishy adversary.
Starship Troopers - Terran Command's campaign features a storyline and missions that develop according to your choices. It features a "detailed technology tree and upgradeable leader characters that can be assigned to your units".
- - Dynamically generated campaigns for virtually limitless replayability.
- - Dozens of unique unit types, each with their own special abilities.
- - Terrain elevation, True Line of Sight & True Line of Fire provide deep tactical gameplay.
- - An extensive technology tree to develop and customize your forces.
- - Persistent leaders can be attached to units and upgraded throughout the campaign.
- - Heroics, explosions, gore, and Bugs. Lots of Bugs.