Pokemon GO is going back to the pre-pandemic normal. Some of the changes Niantic made during the pandemic will stick around, some will evolve with the times and others we'll say goodbye to.
After 15 months of Covid-19 prevention measurements, the world of Pokemon GO is going back to pre-pandemic levels of normal.
Niantic has announced a couple of new additions to the game, and let us into what Covid-era steps will live on.
Pokemon GO new additions
New exploration bonuses will bring the players back outside over the coming months. These will include bonuses for spinning stops, playing at in-person raids, and waking up your pedometer with a couple of extra steps each day.
Some bonuses introduced last year will take on a new form, remain as they were or get left behind. The temporary bonuses added after Pokémon GO Fest 2021 will be lifted, starting in the United States and New Zealand.
New exploration bonuses
Starting at the end of July, the following exploration bonuses will roll out to Trainers for testing first in the U.S. and New Zealand. Trainers will:
- Receive up to two free Raid Passes per day from spinning Gym Photo Discs.
- Benefit from increased Incense effectiveness while moving.
- Be guaranteed gifts when spinning PokéStops so long as they have not reached their maximum gift inventory.
- Receive 10x bonus XP from spinning a PokéStop for the first time.
These bonuses will end when the Season of Discovery wraps up on September 1, 2021.
Bonuses introduced last year that will be removed or changed
- Incense effectiveness increase - after the change, the effectiveness will be set at standard levels, increasing only when you're moving.
- Buddy Pokemon Gifts - their frequency will be reduced, but you can always visit your local PokeStops.
- PokeStop and Gym distance changes will revert to their pre-Covid measurements.
- Remote Raids will stay in Pokemon GO but expect them to evolve with the situation.
Bonuses introduced last year that will stick around
- The incense duration will remain at 60 minutes.
- No walking requirement for GO Battle League.
- You can challenge any Trainer remotely with a QR Code.
- The requirement to battle with friends remotely has been lowered to Good Friends.
- The maximum number of Gifts you can carry in your Item Bag at a time will remain at 20.
- Trainers will be able to open up to 30 Gifts per day, up from the previous 20.
- You will continue to receive three times the Stardust and XP for your first Pokémon catch of the day.