Pokemon GO's fifth birthday bash is kicking off today, Tuesday, July 6. The loaded celebration comes with a bunch of anniversary-themed items and a very special Pikachu.
Can anyone truly wrap their head around the fact that it was five whole years since Pokemon GO hit the streets? We're having some trouble.
To celebrate the milestone, the Pokemon GO team has shared their favourite features added in the years past:
- 2016: Buddy Pokémon
- 2017: Raid Battles, AR+
- 2018: Field Research and Special Research, Friends, Adventure Sync, Trainer Battles
- 2019: GO Snapshot, Team GO Rocket, Buddy Adventure
- 2020: The GO Battle League, Today View, Remote Raids, Team GO Rocket balloons, the first-ever global Pokemon GO Fest experience, Mega Evolution, GO Beyond Level 40, Seasons, and more
- 2021: Collection Challenges, Referrals, Together We Raid, real-time sky mechanic, expanded Pokedex classifications
Pokemon GO fifth anniversary celebration start/end date and time
Starting today, July 6 at 10:00 a.m. local time, Trainers of the world will be able to take part in a celebration event featuring Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon, Darumaka, and more. The event will come to a close on Thursday, July 15 at 8:00 p.m. local time.
Pokemon GO fifth anniversary celebration features
- Darumaka and Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon will be appearing more frequently in the wild. There will also be a Shiny Darumaka out there.
- Darumaka, Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, and Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon will be appearing in one-star raids.
- Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie will be appearing around PokeStops with active Lure Modules and after you complete Field Research.
- You can also encounter some of these first-partner Pokemon in the wild, including Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott.
- There will be active daily bonus Field Research tasks that lead to encounters with Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie.
- Trainers who complete the Collection Challenge unique to the event will get an encounter with Flying Pikachu with a 5-shaped balloon, some Rare Candy and more Poke Balls than they can carry.
- The in-game fireworks are making a big comeback.
- The previously announced real-time sky mechanic and additional Pokedex classifications will make their debut during the event.
- Trainers who activate the Mystery Box during the anniversary celebration might encounter a Shiny Meltan.
- The Jump-Start Special Research will be available to everyone who missed it last year. You can claim it by opening the app during the event period. The Special Research will give you a boost of Stardust and XP, not to mention some Pokemon encounters.
- Fifth Anniversary Gift stickers will be available at PokeStops and as drops from Gifts. They can also be claimed in the shop.
- Item Bag upgrades are also available in the shop. You can expand your Item Bag up to 3,500 from Monday, July 5.
- The Special Box, Ultra Box, and Adventure Box now hold different items.
Pokemon GO fifth anniversary celebration bonuses
- All Lure Modules will last one hour for the duration of the event, including Glacial, Magnetic, Mossy, and Rainy Lure Modules.
- make sure to share your favourite Pokemon GO memories across social media, with the hashtag #PokemonGO5YearAnniversary.