Although Season 5 will be Pokemon GO's shortest season yet, there are some huge changes coming. Three new Cups will be added to the season which kicks off on November 9.
Attention, Trainers: Season 5 of the GO Battle League will be shorter than previous seasons. The new season will only run for three weeks.
In addition, ratings will not be used for rank progression this season, and you’ll instead progress through the ranks by winning a certain number of battles.
Season 4 rewards, Season 5 timeline
When Season 5 kicks off on Monday, November 9, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. GMT, your end-of-season rewards for Season 4 will show up on the Battle screen. These will include an Elite Fast TM if you reached rank 7 or higher.
Season 5 will also feature entirely new cups:
- The Little Cup will run from Monday, November 9, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. GMT to Monday, November 16, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. GMT. Only Pokemon that are able to evolve and have not evolved even once are eligible. The CP limit is 500.
- The Kanto Cup will run from Monday, November 16, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. GMT to Monday, November 23, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. GMT. Only Pokemon with a Pokedex number between #001 and #151 are eligible. The CP limit is 1,500.
- The Catch Cup will run from Monday, November 23, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. GMT to Monday, November 30, 2020, at 9:00 p.m. GMT. Only Pokemon that have been caught since the beginning of Season 5 are eligible. The CP limit is 1,500. Mythical Pokemon—such as Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, and Victini—are not eligible for this Cup.
The following details will remain the same in Season 5
- There will not be a walking requirement in order to battle in the GO Battle League.
- The Friendship level requirement for battling remotely will remain at Good Friends throughout the season. You can scan another Trainer’s QR Code to battle them, no matter where they are.
- The avatar items inspired by Pikachu Libre will continue to be rank 7 rewards.
- You can still encounter Pikachu Libre once you’ve reached rank 10.
- The end-of-season rewards will be similar to those in Season 4.
- Stardust rewards from rank 1 to rank 3.
- Stardust, TMs, and a Premium Battle Pass from rank 4 to rank 10.
New in Season 5
- Starting at rank 7, you’ll have a chance to encounter Legendary Pokemon on the GO Battle League rewards tracks. These Legendary Pokemon will be the same as those appearing concurrently in five-star raids. The rest of the Pokemon you can encounter on the rewards tracks will remain unchanged from Season 4. Please note that encounters with Legendary Pokémon on the rewards tracks will be available in the GO Battle League only during Season 5.
- Rank progression during this season will be based on effort rather than ratings.
- To reach rank 2, you must complete a certain number of battles.
- To reach ranks 3 through 10, you must win a certain number of battles.
- If you finish Season 5 at rank 7 or higher, you’ll receive an Elite Charged TM instead of an Elite Fast TM.
New attacks to be added to Pokemon GO
- Incinerate: Fire-type Fast Attack will initially be available only to Rapidash originally discovered in the Kanto region, Typhlosion, Ho-Oh, Darmanitan originally discovered in the Unova region, and Chandelure.
Updated for Trainer Battles
- Poison Sting: This Poison-type Fast Attack will now generate more energy, allowing Pokemon like Vespiquen, Drapion, and Whirlipede to use their Charged Attacks more frequently.
Available to Pokemon that couldn’t learn it before
- Flame Charge: This Fire-type attack will now be teachable to Rapidash originally discovered in the Kanto region, Entei, Emboar, and Chandelure.