Horizon Zero Dawn has had somewhat of a rocky start for a section of its PC players, but Guerrilla Games think that the freshly launched patch 1.02 should fix crashing.
According to the dev, Horizon Zero Dawn's new PC patch aims to address the more frustrating crashes, but they're well aware of all the unresolved issues and are working around the clock to fix them.
In terms of crash fixes, patch 1.02 lists the following:
- Fixed an issue where some players would crash during their first game boot when the ‘game optimization’ screen is active and they ran out of disc space.
- Fixed an issue where some players would crash if they updated their video drivers after the game was already optimized previously.
- Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay because of memory incorrectly being overwritten.
- Fixed an issue where some players would crash during gameplay due to a texture unstreaming bug.
Additionally, Guerrilla Games improved the crash report flow and messaging, making it easier to communicate with Customer Support, and added more features to improve diagnostic data collection for crash reports.
As for Horizon Zero Dawn's general improvements, auto-saving now has better performance; V-Sync should turn off properly in borderless mode; facial animations won't be out of sync and the patch reduces the memory used when streaming shaders.
Guerilla provided a list of known issues, where they thanked players who compiled the lists of issues on Reddit, which we thought was a cool touch. Anyway, the known issues are:
- Some players are experiencing an out of memory error during the game optimization process.
- Some players are experiencing GPU-related hangs during gameplay. The improved diagnostic data collection added in Patch 1.01 and Patch 1.02 is aimed at making it easier to track these down.
- Some players are experiencing graphical settings issues, such as Anisotropic Filtering or HDR not working correctly.
- Some players are experiencing performance issues on specific GPUs or hardware combinations.
- Some players with a non-Latin-1 codepage may have had their save games missing after Patch 1.01; we have a script that can help relocate the missing save games. Please reach out to our team here using “Report Other Issue” for support.
- We're aware of and continue to investigate issues on both the player-compiled lists by u/EvilMonkeySlayer and u/Rampage572 – thank you!
You can find the full patch notes on