Rebellion released their Battlezone 98 Redux Odyssey Edition for Mac and iPad today. This version contains the base game and its Red Odyssey expansion. Battlezone 98 Redux Odyssey Edition is available on the App Store and through Steam.
Rebellion announced today that their sci-fi strategy Battlezone 98 Redux Odyssey Edition is out today for Mac. And also for iPad. The Odyssey Edition contains, and this will surprise you, Battlezone 98 Redux and its expansion The Red Odyssey. The bundle is available now on the App Store.
Both the game and its expansion in their Mac editions are also available on Steam. If you are a Windows PC user who had previously bought Battlezone 98 on Steam, you can now play the game on Mac for free. Yaay.
The new Battlezone 98 Redux kept its original blend of first-person action and real-time strategy. According to the press release, Battlezone 98 Redux "delivers lovingly remastered visuals, carefully preserved old-school gameplay and online multiplayer for 2-8 players, as well as extensive mod support* and a classically tough game to beat!"
That asterisk right there means that mod support is missing on iPad and that there are no mod creation tools available on iPad or on Mac.
The iPad version was redesigned to fit the touchscreen, but it kept the "authentically retro user interface". There is also a choice of control systems, optional tilt controls, Game Center support and more.
Battlezone 98 Redux Odyssey Edition includes:
- Battlezone 98 Redux and The Red Odyssey expansion
- 4 explosive singleplayer campaigns, set across 48 missions and 8 planetary environments
- Competitive online multiplayer for 2-8 players*
- Cross-platform multiplayer across PC & Mac
- Re-modelled, high-polygon vehicles, buildings and terrainUpgraded lighting, shadows, and improved particle effects
- Steam Workshop support for mods (only available on Steam)
*The "Strategy" multiplayer game mode is not available on iPad.