PlanetSide 2's new Shattered Warpgate patch brings the first-ever campaign system in PlanetSide history, a new story-driven mission system and a remastered Esamir map.
PlanetSide 2 has a new update for its PC players today. Those who enjoy the MMOFPS on PlayStation 4 will have to wait a bit more. The Shattered Warpgate patch for PlayStation 4 will be available later this month.
The Shattered Warpgate update will bring some lasting changes to the war-torn battlefields of PlanetSide 2. This will be done via the new open-world storytelling experiences called Campaigns.
Each Campaign will introduce the PlanetSide 2 players to major gameplay and environmental changes alongside lore-driven story missions that unfold across multiple chapters.
The first campaign, Shattered Warpgate, will send the players back to the icy tundra of the newly remastered continent of Esamir. Once there, they will have to contend with the fallout from an environmental cataclysm brought on by the detonation of one of the continent’s Warpgates. Pack warm socks.
This update also introduces additional features and gameplay improvements for PlanetSide 2:
- Esamir Revamped: The continent of Esamir has gone through a major transformation, including reworked bases and facilities, new alien flora and skybox improvements, and a deadly electrical storm roaming the battlefield.
- All-New Mission System: Players now have access to a wide range of daily mission types that can be completed for rewards. Members will receive additional daily mission unlocks.
- New Weapons & Equipment: New items like the Icepick melee weapon, Havoc Rockets, and Condensate Grenades are now available as Campaign rewards or purchasable from the in-game Depot.
- Sanctuary Changes: Social hub improvements include graphical upgrades and the addition of cross-faction text chat.
- Outfit Resource Rebalancing: War Asset costs have been overhauled to better reward and incentivize Outfits who participate in base captures.
- Indar Terrain Changes: Key locations on the continent of Indar have been reworked to improve the overall balance and combat flow on the map.
Future Campaigns will also be accompanied by major content additions.