Gulag is a unique experience which you won't find in any other battle royale game. It's Warzone's standout feature that is so simple, yet so exciting and smart.
The following story happened just moments after me and my squadmate got obliterated somewhere around Karst River Quarry.
- Ok, so you know we can help each other in Gulag, right? Throw some rocks at him, report his movements.
- Wait, there are several guys here, running around in circles, beating each other.
- What? It's not even your turn yet, I'm in the showers, see? *starts jumping around in the showers*
- Ok, some guy just cornered me in one of the cells.
- What are you talking about? Just watch my duel and help me, bro...
- Now, he's beating the s*** out of me, how I'm supposed to survive this?
- HE CAN'T HURT YOU! I'm the one in danger...Nevermind, I'm dead.
What happens in Gulag, stays in Gulag, but my squadmate and I are not ashamed of our awkward experiences. Quite the contrary, we've enjoyed them very much.
Once you die in Warzone, the game automatically throws you into Gulag, where you take on another fallen player in 1v1. It's basically a Gunfight mode with an audience that can intervene by throwing rocks or reporting location to players.
The winner gets another chance in the battle royale arena while the other, unfortunate fellow spends his life behind bars, figuratively speaking. Simply put, dying in battle royale has never felt so exciting.
Gulag is such a simple but clever feature that adds another layer of depth to a now worn-out game mode that is battle royale. Try to remember just how many times you got killed because you failed to get a proper weapon on time or the excitement of looting got the best of you. Well, Gulag is that second chance to prove your death was not due to lack of skill.
Of course, respawning in battle royale games is nothing new. Other games such as Apex Legends already implemented it a while ago but Gulag is a completely different take on the mechanic. Additionally, Warzone has an Apex-like respawn system that allows you to buy back your fallen squadmates with Cash, but Gulag is all about earning your second chance as opposed to just waiting until your team reaches a respawn or buy station.