Nintendo had a pretty good month in terms of game but also console sales. Its two games Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8: Deluxe took the two top spots on the best selling games charts.
According to the latest report from GfK, consoles sales in UK jumped 148 per cent in January compared to the year before, despite low stock. Around 150,000 consoles have been sold in the previous month and Xbox Series consoles have sold best for the first time since launch. Nintendo Switch follows closely behind.
Switch sales were up 21 per cent over the same period the year before. As expected, Sony's PlayStation 5 is in third but it's certainly worth mentioning that the console was almost entirely out of stock during the first two weeks of 2021.
As for the games, Nintendo exclusives Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe took the two top spots on the physical sales chart. A total of 941,672 boxed games were sold in the UK last month, which is an increase of 7 per cent over the same period the year before.
Here is the top ten chart of best selling games in the UK last month:
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)
- Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
- Just Dance 2021 (Ubisoft)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
- Minecraft Switch (Nintendo/Microsoft)
- FIFA 21 (EA)
- Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)