It's safe to say that Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord's launch has been a success, but it's clear TaleWorlds Entertainment still have a lot of work to do through the final stretch in Steam's Early Access.
It's no secret that some players were confused as to why a game that's been in development for eight years launches in Steam's Early Access, but TaleWorlds clearly felt that more testing at a larger scale is needed to stomp out the emerging bugs.
In hindsight, the complexity of Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord's many underlying systems make an Early Access period of testing a smart idea. It sure beats a full release that's followed by a month of apologies and quick fixes - lord knows we've had enough of those.
Anyway, Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord's newest update is version e1.0.4 and the brunt of it is aimed at crashing issues. Note that most of them are singleplayer ones, with a single fix for a multiplayer crash when a specific combat network message is received in the wrong order.
There are also general performance improvements, specifically the fixes to a memory leak and an optimisation issue with NPC pathfinding, which took a toll on the siege scenes. Save and load stability tweaks were implemented too.
They also noticed that Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord's campaigns often end in a large domino effect of toppling kingdoms, but they actually traced it to AI's financial problems and subsequent bandit harassment. From now on, lords will be more responsible with the cash and reach into garrisons when threatened by bankruptcy.
Finally, the update adds more than 200 new items and rebalances armour values and pricing.
Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord's e1.0.4 full patch notes are as follows:
- Fixed a rare bug that caused clients to crash in multiplayer when a specific combat network message is received in the wrong order.
- Rare exception during siege fixed.
- Fixed a crash that occurred while traveling on the campaign map.
- Fixed a crash that happened after closing the banner editor.
- Fixed a crash related to a villager opening a dialog right after an enemy lord encounters the player during a raid village action.
- Fixed a crash while moving troops in the party screen.
- Fixed a crash while exiting the campaign map.
- Fixed a crash while dragging 0 item count tuples in inventory.
- Fixed a bug which caused a crash when breaking into an allied settlement under a siege.
- Fixed a crash concerning battle log entries when talking to a winning faction's non-hero character if the player was on the defeated side
- Fixed a crash that occurred just before the fight with the hideout boss after the hideout has been cleaned up.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when a player vs NPC board game is over.
- Fixed a crash which occurred when attacking a settlement after being interrupted by a party in the siege preparation stage.
- Fixed a crash related to targeting routing mounted agents.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when loading the game after successfully collecting weapons as the gang leader requested in the Gang Leader Needs Weapon quest.
- Fixed a rare crash that happens in character creation when choosing an option.
- Fixed a rare crash that happens when caravan payments are processed.
- Fixed an optimisation issue with NPC pathfinding which led to a huge performance loss, especially in siege scenes.
- Fixed a memory leak issue.
Save & Load
- Further stability tweaks for save and load.
Battles and Sieges
- Fixed a bug that opened a siege battle instead of field battle when attacking a besieger party.
- Night debuffs, visibility limitation and extra aim error of ranged units have been removed.
Clan and Party
- Fixed the open hands issue in the banner editor.
- After some time during a campaign, some lords were remaining without troops in their party because of financial problems and constantly being harassed by bandits. Lords now manage their finances more effectively and take troops from garrisons if they are at risk of going bankrupt. This was one reason for the snowball effect in the campaign, with kingdoms being eliminated too easily.
- Minor fixes have been made regarding pregnancies.
- Fixed an issue that caused player clan members to get stuck in a settlement.
Kingdoms and Diplomacy
- Fixed an issue with defensive battles after a safe passage barter had been made.
- Fixed an issue that prevented axes from being craftable at the smithy.
Issues & Quests
- Fixed a bug with the AI trying to attack at the end of Army of Poachers quest.
- More than 200 items reintroduced to the game.
- Armor values and prices overhauled.
- Production of weapons and armors in towns tweaked.
- Aserai’s basic troop was Aserai Tribesman, however, it should be Aserai Recruit. This is fixed.