Pokemon GO's upcoming City Spotlight will occur on Sunday, November 22, 2020, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. local time. This guide will help you prepare for a day of Timed Research and AR mapping.
Pokemon GO City Spotlight will have a bunch of tasks the Trainers will need to complete. The following is a list of things you'll be able to do City Spotlight. Plus, you can check out details on what rewards are waiting for you if your city completes the most AR Mapping tasks during the event.
What’s included in the free citywide experience
- The City Spotlight Timed Research will take you and your Buddy Pokemon all around your city.
- Take snapshots to encounter Pokemon and earn a Poffin, Stardust, and a Lucky Egg.
- Spin PokeStops for a chance to receive a special Gift sticker.
- Take part in an AR Mapping task competition against other participating cities.
- Receive a special reward when you complete an AR Mapping task.
What’s included in the City Spotlight ticketed experience
- Everything in the free citywide experience.
- The following Pokemon will be attracted to special Incense: Pidgey, Pidgeot, Doduo, Onix, Rhyhorn, Lapras, Unown C, Mantine, Pelipper, Nosepass, and Stoutland.
- You may encounter a Shiny Unown C. Shiny Unown C will be available only for the duration of City Spotlight to Trainers who have a City Spotlight ticket.
- Explore the city with your Buddy Pokemon using exclusive City Spotlight Special Research as a guide. Complete the Special Research to receive a Poffin, an Incense, a Super Incubator, three Lucky Eggs, a Lure Module, an encounter with Lapras, XP, and Stardust.
- Earn up to three extra hearts with your buddy in every category.
- Your buddy will know that an exciting adventure is ahead! Give it treats during City Spotlight, and it’ll automatically become excited.
- 1/4 Hatch Distance when an Egg is placed in an Incubator during the event.
- Incense will be more effective while you’re walking and will last for two hours.
City Spotlight: before you GO
If you want the ticketed experience, you'll need to purchase your City Spotlight ticket. With a ticket, you can enjoy additional City Spotlight content, including Special Research and certain Pokemon being attracted to Incense. This ticket is non-refundable.
The ticket costs US$4.99, or the event’s local currency equivalent, inclusive of any applicable taxes and fees. Here’s how you can purchase a ticket:
- Open the Pokemon GO app.
- On the map, tap the Poke Ball icon.
- Tap Events.
- On the following webpage, tap your city’s City Spotlight listing.
- You'll see "Tickets Available!" next to a first-come-first-served City Spotlight event if it hasn’t sold out yet. Tap the listing to select the event you wish to attend, choose how many tickets you’d like to purchase and input your payment information to complete your purchase. On the payment-confirmation page, please take note of your order ID. You’ll also receive a confirmation email at the address you entered right before the payment.
- A few days before the City Spotlight event, you’ll receive a medal. When you open the app during the event, you’ll receive access to the City Spotlight experience, including the Special Research.
- After you’ve obtained the Special Research, you can complete it at any time.
Incense activated during City Spotlight will last for two hours and will be even better at attracting featured Pokemon. Each city’s event Timed Research will offer an encounter with different Pokemon for each featured location you take a snapshot at.
Auckland, New Zealand
- Victoria Park
- Albert Park
- Auckland Domain
- Takutai Square
- Commercial Bay
- Wynyard Quarter
Busan, South Korea
- Jagalchi Market
- Yongdusan Park
- Democracy Park
- Jungang Park
- Yurari Plaza
- Busan Station
- Takaragaike Park Children’s Paradise
- Kyoto International Conference Center
- Takaragaike Park Iris Garden
- Takaragaike Pond
- Nakaragi Path
- Kamogawa Park
- National Cheng Kung University Main Library
- Tainan Park
- Tainan Confucius Temple
- Blueprint Culture & Creative Park
- Tainan Sports Park & Municipal Baseball Stadium
- Koxinga Museum & Koxinga Shrine
If you’re currently below level 20, be sure to get to level 20 prior to the event so you can access AR Mapping tasks. AR Mapping tasks will not be available for Trainers with child accounts.
AR Mapping task competition between cities
Compete with other City Spotlight cities to upload the most scans throughout the weekend. The AR Mapping tasks can be completed anywhere in participating cities and must be completed during City Spotlight to count.
The winning city will earn an exclusive event taking place from Saturday, November 28, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. to Sunday, November 29, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. local time. The event will feature a 1/4 Hatch Distance bonus.
You can check the standings on the leaderboard .
A day of Pokemon GO
Prepare for a day of Pokemon GO. Remember to charge your device before heading out, and be sure to bring along a portable charger and a refillable water bottle. Dress appropriately for the weather, and wear comfy shoes.
If you still have questions regarding City Spotlight, please visit the City Spotlight page for more information.