Bungie's Luke Smith has posted a fresh development update that dives into how seasons will work in Destiny 2's third year on the market, starting with a Battle Pass model system called Season Rank which will set players back some $10.
Destiny 2's Season Rank will be kicking off with Shadowkeep and New Light and Bungie will be relying on it to deliver a narrative-rich and constantly changing world, and the Vex are quite a way to start it.
"In Season of the Undying, the portal to the Black Garden that was opened as a part of JacketQuest has awoken the Vex, and they are now pouring out across the surface of the Moon. Working with Ikora, players will [Do Some Stuff, Go Somewhere, Fight Some Things, and Solve a Problem aka REDACTED]. By the end of the Season, the portals will close, the world state will change, and the Seasonal activity connected to it will go away", they wrote.
Bungie also said that some things will remain, and they're likely to be intertwined into the Season Nine Season of Dawn narrative.
Similar to the old Annual Pass access, Destiny 2 players will get to play seasonal matchmade activity in the Black Garden, but Bungie insist everyone will be involved with how the world changes, narratively and physically.
Two new reward pursuits will be added, the first of which is the new Seasonal Artifact, which will be free to all players. These will let you further tweak your guardian's build by unlocking additional mods.
"While leveling up and unlocking mods, you will also increase the Power of the Artifact, which will continue increasing until the end of the Season (yes, it is uncapped). Artifact Power adds directly to your overall Power and is account-wide. We are both excited, and a little terrified, to see how high players will manage to raise their Artifact Power during the Season", they wrote.
The second reward chase will be seasonal XP progression and Season Pass ranks, and while RNG rewards will remain part of Destiny 2,
So, as of Shadowkeep's Season of the Undying, Season Pass owners are getting the following:
- Season Pass owners get access to a new seasonal activity, the Vex Offensive, which includes:
- Four Legendary Weapon drops
- Additional weekly and daily bounties
- Additional weekly challenges with powerful rewards
- A new weapon quest for an Exotic Bow, Leviathan’s Breath
- Exclusive to Season Pass owners
- A new Exotic Hand Cannon, Eriana’s Vow
- Awarded on Rank 35 of the free track
- Awarded on Rank 1 of the premium track
- Three seasonal Legendary armour sets (one for each class)
- Collect a complete set during the first 25 ranks of the free track
- NOTE: This is a change from the Annual Pass, where you were required to purchase gear from the Season.
- On the premium track you get all three sets on Rank 1
- These also drop within the Vex Offensive seasonal activity
- If you want versions with higher stat tiers, you’ll need to play Vex Offensive to earn them
- Some additional premium track rewards:
- Three universal ornament armour sets (one for each class)
- An Exotic weapon ornament for Eriana’s Vow
- Two Legendary weapon ornaments
- A new finisher
- An Exotic emote
- An Exotic ship
You can find the full blog post on Bungie's website.