Epic Games announced the SMG will be removed from Fortnite and the change may or may not be temporary. This practice will not only apply to this weapon, as the weapon roster will vary in the future in order to preserve balance.
Epic Games' balance team appear to be channelling their inner Jedi with their focus on preservation of balance and for that reason the SMG is getting sidelined. They explained their reasoning in the reddit post as well as their official site, saying the smaller weapon pool is easier to manage as they introduce new weapons.
Players that like or have mastered usage of this weapon may not like the change, but it is really a good one in the larger scheme of things. This will allow the game's meta to change more frequently and may therefore prevent it from going stale.
Future updates will include quality of life changes and Epic Games' shortlist is as follows:
- Improved building controls on console
- Team Communication outside of voice chat
- Ability to re-queue from the death screen
- Ability to preemptively hold down the search button while approaching a searchable object
- Display of how much ammo is loaded into a gun on the weapon widget
- Larger map w/ zoom
The update will also involve social features, inviting friends from social platforms to Fortnite with more additional functionality on the way.
Limited time modes seem to be growing more popular these days and Fortnite will be adding their own. A quick list of what might we might expect is:
- Blitz Mode (shorter matches!)
- Drop into the first circle
- Generally less time between circles
- Team sizes in between 50v50 and squads
- 50v50 v2
- Closer to the 50v50 Trailer experience
- Split to start
- Converge on Battle
- Bus for each team
- See all your squadmates on the map
- More supply drops
Fortnite is Epic Games' flagship and naturally they have a lot more planned for their top earner. You can read all about it on their web page.