We had to check the date again to ensure that it's not April Fools day, but Konami appears to have done something good for video games this week. Yay Konami?!
Super Bomberman R was a launch title for the Nintendo Switch and celebrated the franchise's 33rd year. The game has received mixed reviews but there have been consistent complaints about control lag in offline and online play, which - surprisingly - is very important in Bomberman. This latest update appears to show Konami’s commitment to addressing fan concerns about the game as it has fixed a number of bugs and it's also added some new content - all for free.
The new upgrade has made us have to rethink our original views of Super Bomberman R that we regarded as the worst launch game for the Switch.
So, let’s go through the changes:
- Four new VS stages have been added to the shop: White Cross, Lagoon, Max Speed, Power Zone.
- Two new series of accessories have been added to the shop for your Bomberman to wear: Crowns and Bombs.
- The frame rate has been improved, with some people reporting it’s running at 60fps which makes a huge difference to the game.
- Issues with control lags have been reduced and they're more responsive in both offline and online games.
- Basing Settings will now also allow you to fix the camera position as well, and they have adjusted the heights and slopes on some maps to improve the visibility. - Thankfully, the difficulty has been adjusted because the beginner option was far from being easy.
- The strength of the Five Dastardly Bombers on the story mode have also been adjusted, and you can now choose the strength of the COM on the multiplayer battle mode.
If this Bizarro world you are in is not weird enough, they have also announced three new character DLCs: Vic Viper from Gradius, Simon Belmont from Castlevania, and Pyramid Head from Silent Hill.
Have Konami now become the prodigal son and returned home to us gamers? Should we judge a game by how it was when released or on subsequent patches? Can we forgive them for what they did to Kojima?! Share your thoughts with us in the comment section below!