NIntendo Direct for Splatoon 2 detailed many features that await us when the game launches on 21 July. Loads of new outfits and new weapons will be available. Splatoon 2: Splatfest World Premiere demo will happen on 15 July.
Special Nintendo Direct presentation revealed the new features that will be available in Splatoon 2. The video also talked about SplatNet 2, the new service for mobile devices that displays information about Splatoon 2 like stage schedules, gear and stats.
SplatNet 2 is part of the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app launching on July 21, which lets players send multiplayer invites to their friends via social media, as well as enables the use of voice chat in battles.
"Splatoon 2 is a huge, robust sequel to the original Splatoon," said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. "Fans that played and loved the first game will have plenty of new stuff to enjoy, while the game is also a great introduction for players new to the colorful and stylish series."
Before the full game launches on 21 July, Switch owners can try the game out via the Splatoon 2: Splatfest World Premiere demo. The Splatfest will start on 15 July at 11:00 PM BST and end on 16 July at 3:00 AM BST. "Players just have to download the free demo in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch and choose a team before the Splatfest begins. The demo can be downloaded early before the Splatfest goes live, starting later today."
Some of the highlights from the direct video include:
- Custom Style: In Splatoon 2, Inklings can be customized to fit the player’s taste. Things like eye color, hair style and skin tone can all be adjusted when creating a character. Also there is some fresh new gear like shirts, shoes and hats that can also be equipped.
- Fresh Features: Some additional features coming to Splatoon 2 include a menu that lets players change the sensitivity of the controls separately for TV and Handheld mode, amiibo functionality and the ability to post drawings directly to social media.
- Turf War: a returning feature that sees 4v4 battles who can ink the most turf.
- Ranked Battles: Every two hours, the three Ranked Battle modes rotate. The modes are Splat Zones, which finds teams fighting for control of Splat Zones placed on the stage; Tower Control, a fast-and-frantic mode in which players ride a moving tower; and the chaotic fun of Rainmaker.
- Main Weapons: In Splatoon 2, weapons come in sets of three: a main weapon, a sub weapon and a special weapon. There are many different types of main weapons.
- Post-Launch Updates: Like the first Splatoon, Splatoon 2 will see a continuing rollout of updates to the game. These updates will take the form of new weapons, like the umbrella-shaped Brella, new gear and additional stages.
- Splatfests: While content updates for Splatoon 2 will last around a year, more limited-time Splatfests for the game are planned for the next two years.
Splatoon 2 will launch on 21 July, exclusively for Switch.